Gamesys - Managed Services & Consultancy
Gamesys are the UK's leading online Instant Win and Bingo entertainment brand. Gamesys Group is one of the fastest growing businesses in the e-gaming sector. Voted as Bingo Operator of the year at the 2007 E Gaming Review Awards, Gamesys have built a solid reputation within the industry and with their customers.
The Challenge - As a result of their increasing popularity, Gamesys were experiencing vastly growing numbers of visitors to their website which put a strain on their current database. Recognizing that they needed a database that was robust, scalable, and able to provide high levels of performance, Gamesys made a strategic decision to move their 24x7 backend database from Firebird to DB2 UDB V8.2 in 2005. This posed two major challenges for Gamesys:
- There were no resident staff with DB2 knowledge that could migrate the Firebird database to DB2.
- DB2 specialist knowledge was needed to support the new DB2 infrastructure 24x7 and provide continued guidance for DB2 best practices.
The Solution - Triton worked with Gamesys on the move to DB2 by:
- Reviewing and updating database and instance level configuration parameters
- Designing and implementing a data placement strategy (including tablespace and bufferpool configuration).
- Designing and implementing a logging/archiving configuration.
- Designing and implementing a backup and recovery strategy.
- Designing and implementing a housekeeping strategy (routing database reorganisations, database statistics collection, etc).
- Configure and test HADR replication between primary and standby production server.
Given the 24/7 nature of their business Gamesys recognised the need for full database support. With no onsite DB2 resource, Gamesys decided to use Triton's Remote DBA service. The full 24/7 package was chosen as the best service option. This provides Gamesys with support for their DB2 production environment around the clock, 365 days a year. In addition to proactive database support Gamesys have access to their performance and availability metrics online.